Myths About Choosing A Sleepaway Camp Near New York
Posted on Nov 28, 2018 5:09 am
Choosing a sleepaway camp near New York can be an extremely difficult and stressful experience. If this is your first time sending your son to sleepaway camp, you’ve probably heard or read a lot of things that you should consider when choosing a camp. Many of these things may seem wrong or confusing to say the least. At Camp Shohola, we have come up with a few of the top myths you may come across when choosing a sleepaway camp!
- Myth-“Children that get homesick often should only attend short sessions of sleepaway camp.”
- Fact: Longer sleepaway camp sessions are better for children to get over the feelings of homesickness. Children who go away to sleepaway camp for a longer session will likely get over the feelings of homesickness and have more time to have fun and feel a sense of accomplishment.
- Myth- “My child’s friend loves this camp, so my child definitely will too.”
- Fact: No two children are the same, therefore you can’t judge a camp off of someone else’s opinions. Look for a camp that has sleepaway camp activities that your son or daughter is interested in. A typical day at sleepaway camp is different at every camp and not every child will like the same schedule as his or her friends.
- Myth-“Camps that are expensive are the best.”
- Fact: The sleepaway camp dates and rates vary from every camp. Every sleepaway camp is different and not every expensive camp is great. Some of the best camp’s are very reasonable prices.
- Myth-“My child isn’t ready for camp.”
- Fact: By starting off your son or daughter at camp at a young age, they will likely adjust better and be better off. But how do you know if your child is ready for sleepaway camp? You can read another one of our blog posts to decide for yourself!
To decide if a camp is best for you and your children, schedule a visit! This is one of the best ways to explore the campgrounds and see all of the sleepaway camp facilities. See if your son or daughter likes it, and if they can see themselves there this summer. Parents, if you have any questions or concerns, ask to speak with a member of the sleepaway camp staff or the director, they will likely be able to answer anything with honesty. The benefits of sleepaway camp are endless and a great opportunity for children to grow and have a fun and exciting summer.
If you’re looking for the best sleepaway camp near New York, contact Camp Shohola at (570)-371-4760 for more information or to schedule a tour today!